Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I’d like to invite everyone to our new site “living the vision at Palo Verde College to participate in planning for next year's activities for the basic skills grant.

Our funding is expected to continue for the academic year. Our 2011-2012 will be among many items be as follow:

1. Develop and maintain highly coordinated schedule of classes resolving conflicts: Associated cost and additional responsibilities provided by curriculum committee, budget committee, academic senate, CTA, BSI, etc. 
2. Research costs billed to BSI
3. Counseling services
4. Tutorial services for Needles and the main campus
5. Regional conferences and activities
6. New curricula training and activities -
7. Basic Skills classes
8. Writing lab

9. Increased supplemental instruction in math and English

Please comment on any of the items as well as additional needs that you forecast for 2012-2013.
Posted by Peter Martinez

ü  Workshop Activities for the term
ü  4 year institution campus visits to Palo Verde College
ü  Educational Field Trips
ü  Course Repetition
ü  Degree Audits
ü  Petition to Graduate
ü  Course Overload
ü  Student Learning Outcomes
ü  Distance Learning
ü  Enrollment Management
ü  Campus Technology
 

4 comments:

  1. Planning changes for math, Reading, English, Counseling, and Supplemental Skills. How can these services affect our students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basic skills are those foundation skills in reading, writing, mathematics, and English as a Second Language, as well as learning skills and study skills, which are necessary for students to succeed in college-level work.... What's our best course of action?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a lot of us need to learn all that we can do on a computer. I do not need to know the difference between them.I have very limited skills, it makes a difference on essays etc. What I know is mostly self taught. A lot of us did not go to H.S. in te past few years where you get some training. I am not talking keyboarding either. How to set borders on essays,. use paint for various applications, etc.Yo just cannot see everything on ITV class either. .
    Sincerely,
    Nora Cole

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Whom it May Concern,
    I am currently a student at the PVC Needles campus and I am currently taking math 080. I was recently told that my math 080 instructor commented that i could try harder. When I heard this i was confused and upset at the same time. I couldn't understand how he could make this comment when i am receiving a high B in his class. Here are the things that I have done to ensure that my grade stays above failing: I have only missed 2 classes and only because i had no sitter or was sick. I bought a special calculator just i would have the extra help with doing my work. I attend every tutoring session offered to me. I got a 100% on my first math test and when I failed my second, I took extra time to study. When I retook it I got an 81%. I have his contact info programed into my phone and use it whenever I have any questions. I don't have a home computer and asked my neighbor if I could use hers and be able to download the hawks program onto it just so I could be able to study in the evenings and on the weekends. My classmates and I feel like the class is moving too fast, he doesn’t give us enough time to grasp one concept before he moves onto another. So, I don't understand how I am not trying hard enough if I am already giving it double the time of any of my other classes. Math has always been a real struggle for me, but I am getting a high B because I am doing everything I can to succeed.
    Sincerely,
    Concerned Math 080 Student

    ReplyDelete